Do I Need a Wheel Alignment?
Maintaining proper wheel alignment on a vehicle is very important, yet this maintenance task is often overlooked by drivers. Many motorists simply put up with the symptoms of improper wheel alignment and do not realize what an easy fix it is. Keep reading to find the answer to the question, “Do I need a wheel alignment?”
5 Indicators of Alignment Problems
- Steering wheel is off-centered: Whenever you’re driving on a flat, level surface, your car’s steering wheel should be almost perfectly straight, with the vehicle emblem on the steering wheel looking completely level. If your steering wheel is off center by more than a few degrees in either direction while driving on a level road, you need to have alignment work done.
- Car pulls to the side: Once again, it is on a level, straight road that you’ll most easily notice if your vehicle is pulling to one side as you drive. Aside from road crowning that can cause a vehicle to temporarily pull slightly to one side, your car should always drive straight with very little steering input from you. If a vehicle is pulling to one side consistently, you need to have your alignment checked.
- Abnormal tire wear: Any abnormality in your tire wear patterns can indicate alignment issues. A skilled mechanic can spot these issues while rotating your tires or performing a vehicle inspection on your car. If you notice abnormal tire wear, head in to see your mechanic and have the alignment attended to.
- Loose handling: Poor wheel alignment can cause your vehicle’s steering to feel loose or unstable, resulting in a “wandering” sensation or sloppy turning ability while you’re driving. If you notice any of these things, have your alignment checked.
- Steering wheel doesn’t come back to center: While drivers must always keep both hands on the wheel and maintain control over the vehicle, the steering wheel should return to center on its own after you’ve completed a turn. If it doesn’t start moving itself back to center after turning, that is a good indication that the alignment is off.
Talk to the Professionals
For alignment issues and any other vehicle problems, you can trust the crew at Bill Kay Ford. Come in and see us or contact us today for all your vehicle needs, big and small!